Saturday, September 16, 2006

Yosemite Half Dome

Mist Trail up - steep climb, but shorter. We figured we'd want to hit up Half Dome by lunch time. We didn't get there until around 2pm since we started at 8am instead of the intended 7am. We woke up at 530am took longer packing up than expected.

John Muir Trail down - less steep, but still a bitch. An extra 2 miles. Joints hurting, legs hurting. Raf dragged me the last couple miles because I felt like I was going to cramp up, and keel over like that dood in the Iron Man Kona race. I could see myself crawling to the finish line.

Raf also carried my backpack. I was having problems breathing in the beginning (asthma + elevation) but I got used to it. The last mile up to half dome, Raf dragged me up. People were clapping for him and making fun of me.

Didn't make it up Half Dome itself. My legs were killing me already and wanted to save energy for the 9 mile trek back. Good thing because when we were going down the huge steep boulder to the main trails, my knees start SPASMING LIKE CRAZY. One fall and I am dead!!! They were violently shaking. It was scary. I am not disappointed because I'd rather be alive than falling down a cliff. Plus there is always next year. ;) I'm gonna drag more people out to do this. It's fun!

But next time I am training for this!

Total time: 11.5 hours
Total distance: 16.4 miles
Total food: 2 Power Gels, half a sammich, trail mix, and 3 bottles of water.
Total food brought in backpack: about 20 lbs. What a waste. Can't eat while on a tough hike. Makes you want to puke.

First time camping and sleeping in a tent EVER. Overly protective Chinese parents. No surprise there. 30-40 degrees at night.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Parked in Curry Village. Half Dome here we come!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Peeling off the layers and feeling refreshed.... for now.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Break time. 2 miles away from Half Dome. Ok, now we are tired. The Brain was sleeping on a rock.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We made it! Almost. Woo hoo! I got stuck!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Which way is up? I don't get it.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Look, Raf made it!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Close-up!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Breakfast the next morning. I could barely walk. But I can still cook!!!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

What more can you do with leftover camp food? AW! Scrambled eggs and sausage! OJ! Toasted English muffins! Vietnamese coffee!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Btw, Scott brought GOOSE AND PORK RILLETTE!!! That is goose meat mixed with fois gras straight from France (his sister went and brought some back). Funny that we ate it here while camping and roughing it. =)

It took me about 4 days to recover. I couldn't walk very well the first two days. OUCH! But it was FUN! Can't wait to do it again!

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Crazy. You're all crazy! We were in Yosemite a month before... talked about hiking Half Dome...didn't get a chance...kind of bummed. But now I'm glad I spend that time lazying around the camp instead. No aches here! He he he.