Monday, May 25, 2009

The French Laundry

I can't believe I have waited this long to update on our dinner at The French Laundry. Raf finally got us reservations after two months of trying. We finally used our Xmas gifts! This entry will be short and sweet with lots of pictures.

Garden love
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Wish that was my backyard...

Photobucket

Kitchen
Photobucket

Photobucket

Gougères (The ones at Taillevent are way better)
Photobucket

Salmon tartare - quite frankly the best salmon tartare I've ever had
Photobucket

Oysters and Pearls - it's too bad I don't like oysters. I did get this but just with caviar. VERY good.
Photobucket

Salad of Hawaiian Hearts of Peach Palm - I was pleasantly surprised on how delicious this was. Amazing how tasty and sweet those alpine strawberries are.
Photobucket

Moulard Duck foie gras au torchon - really good, those peaches were AMAZINGLY sweet and juicy. I've never had a peach that good before.
Photobucket

Great brioche. Foie was served with 3 different types of salt from Hawaii, the Phillipines, and Brittany/France.
Photobucket

Sautéed fillet of Atlantic Halibut
Photobucket

Fricassée of Yukon Gold Potato Gnocchi - I am not a big fan of gnocchi, but this was the best gnocchi I've ever had. Amazing dish.
Photobucket

Sweet Butter-poached Maine Lobster Tail - heavenly, buttery, sweet... <3
Photobucket

Four Story Hill Farm "Cuisse de Poularde"
Photobucket

"Chateaubriand" of Nature-Fed Veal
Photobucket

Kuroge Beef "Saucisson en Croûte"
Photobucket

"Cavatina" - Cherry beignet, Sicilian Pistachios, Celery, Black Truffle
Photobucket

Andante Dairy Yogurt Sherbert - THE BEST F'IN YOGURT SHERBERT I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. No joke.
Photobucket

"Gâteau au Chocolat avec Bavarois Praliné"
Photobucket

"Parfait au Citron" - I love the taste of fresh/real lemon.
Photobucket

Coffee & Donuts - this is no longer on the menu, however, we heard some "regulars" at the next table ordering it. We asked if there was some left, so they gave it to us for free which was very generous. Sadly, I did not like it at all. The "coffee" was way too sweet. The beignet was ok. Raf loved it though.
Photobucket

I was quite surprised how "minimalist" this meal was. The dishes were very much focused on the main protein and/or produce. Not a lot of fluff. Everything was cooked to perfection. I have never seen such perfect quenelles before. My favorites were the Hearts of Peach Palm, gnocchi, lobster, yogurt sherbert, and parfait au citron. However, it was a bit too much food for both of us.

Although I have had other meals in France that I have enjoyed more, flavor-wise, I still feel that FL was a good experience. The cuisine is very traditional, and I definitely respect Thomas Keller and his team of cooks for the "perfection" they have achieved in terms of cooking technique and plating. The service was attentive but non-intrusive. We also got a tour of the kitchen. That is probably the cleanest kitchen I have seen - everything scrubbed down like it was brand new. Great fridge organization too. There are about 40 cooks that work there. A great experience overall.

The French Laundry
6640 Washington St
Yountville, CA‎
Tel: (707) 944-2380‎

1 comment:

D said...

It looks so tasty! As always... I'm jealous. :P