Sunday, July 09, 2006

Goodbye London

After two weeks of backpacking, I think it's fair to say that I am totally used to the weight of my backpack now. In the beginning, I was dying, but now lugging around this big backpack is no problem! All this cardio and weight lifting has done me some good! I was feeling a little better this morning, so making the hour-long trip to Heathrow wasn't so bad. The tube was packed since the one line we took went straight to the airport. After some discomfort of having to stand in the tube for a while, we later got to sit down for a couple stops before our destination. Note: you cannot buy tube tickets ahead of time. We bought a couple the night before ($16 USD!) and tried to use it the next morning. They wouldn't let us exchange them so we had to buy a new pair of tickets.

After checking our stuff in, we finally sat down to have a real English breakfast. (Well, as real as it can get in the airport. From what I've heard, typical English Breakfasts also come with smoked herring and/or salmon.)

Doesn't this look tasty?
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The baked beans were really good! The bacon has virtually no fat on it, so it just tastes like ham. I liked it. The black thing is "black pudding." Eh, not that great. Sausage didn't really taste like much. Everything else was so-so. Again, I could only take little bites here and there, but luckily there was some toast and jam I could munch on. After our meal, we walked a half a mile through the airport to our gate, which was more like walking through Valley Fair!

Remember my initial post on Virgin Atlantic? Well they give you these little packs of eye covers, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.

Pretty cool, huh?
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The rest of the flight was spent watching movies, a documentary on Enron, and four episodes of The Office.

Damn this TV, I didn't get any rest!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Overall, we weren't too impressed with London. Not to say that we didn't like it; we would have just preferred to visit London before Spain and France. I'm sure you have heard that the food is not so good in London, which we found to be true unless you go to specific ethnic restaurants or the more upscale restaurants; like Indian food, and they have a Nobu in London amongst other award winning restaurants. The average food here isn't so great. We did enjoy our trip here, and with advice from friends, we felt that one day in London was enough for us.

No comments: