Thursday, July 06, 2006

Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, etc

I felt better this morning (so I thought), so we went downstairs to try this often crowded cafe on the corner, next to the metro.

Le Depart Saint-Michel
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We had a crepe with bananas, sliced almonds, with way too much crème, as well as roasted chicken and fries, plus a cappuccino. This cafe is not that good and is always crowded due to the location. Once you step out of the Metro, it is PACKED with tourists. Has a nice atmosphere though. Note: never order a banana crepe without nutella! It just doesn’t taste quite right.

After our meal, we were supposed to start another day of sightseeing, but I felt all weird again. We went back upstairs where I rested a bit while Raf watched the Tour de France. After I woke up from a short nap, we headed down to the Metro to go to the Eiffel tower. When we were in the Metro station, I felt all weird again! It was so strange; whenever I started walking, it would start to upset my stomach and make me all light-headed.

Once again, we went upstairs. Rafael’s legs were pretty sore from the day before, so he was pouting about walking up and down the stairs over and over again. (Remember, 104 steps... even though my legs were sore as well, I think I was getting used to it. I didn’t pout as much about the stairs even though I was sick!) I decided to stay in for the next couple hours while Raf went to check out Notre Dame, the Pompidou, and the pharmacie to get me some meds.

Notre Dame
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

After seeing Sagrada Familia, it was hard to be impressed with other churches, however, Notre Dame, looked amazingly beautiful and enormous at night. It's too bad we didn't get a chance to take a picture of it!

While he was gone, I was watching French documentaries, the Tour de France, and the news. Last night, we saw an ambulance as we were walking back home. A motorcyclist crashed probably due to the World Cup Chaos. Also, someone died while jumping on top of the Metro which is probably why the Metro was running 45 minutes late the night before. A few small riots also occurred around the Champs Elysees. We did notice cops stationed every few hundred feet equipped with the big plastic things used to push people back.

The Pompidou
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here are some disturbing cartoons displayed at the Pompidou. I will "spare" you the really gross ones.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Don't ask. I don't know.

After a couple hours +, Raf came back with some meds. Apparently, there was some stomach virus going around Paris; you could get it by someone simply sneezing on you. Timo's coworkers also told him that there was another stomach virus going around that had to do with eating raw vegetables. Anyway, I took some French Imodium, and decided to make the trip to the Eiffel Tower. I didn't want to spend my remaining days in Paris not doing anything.

We arrived in the evening, only to see that there was a minimum of a 30 minute wait to go up the tower. We decided to walk around and look for a non-touristy restaurant to eat.

I got stuck!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

After we walked all the way down the park next to the Eiffel Tower, and then down a couple blocks, we saw this little area near some local residences of these three very Parisian restaurants. The customers were mostly Parisian with a few Americans here and there. We both felt really underdressed but oh well! When we were crossing the street to get to this restaurant, we saw this lady with her dog off leash running around the busy streets. I mean, this dog was thisclose to the cars driving by. We were waiting for the light to turn green, and once it did, the dog just dashed across the street on the crosswalk. Crazy, I wouldn't trust Ginger off leash around these busy streets, but I'm sure that dog was used to it.

We sat down at a cute little table outside the restaurant. They gave us free chips + salsa (in a shot glass!) to munch on, as well as some olives. After I munched on these, I got that really yucky feeling again of nausea and lightheadedness. By the time Raf got his delectable dried tomato and mozzarella salad, I made a trip to the bathroom to puke. I hadn't really eaten anything the whole day except for dry crackers and water. =(

We had already ordered the main dishes by the time I felt really sick, so it was too late to cancel. (By the way, entrees in France, are the appetizers, not the main dishes like in America). I ordered trout with dill dish, and Raf ordered filet mignon with fois gras (which turned out to be REALLY GOOD). It was even more painful to watch him eat these real Parisian dishes, while feeling totally sick and hungry at the same time. It is serious torture for me not to eat!

Since I couldn't keep any food down, Raf had to try and eat both main dishes as to not be rude. The waitress already asked Raf if he didn't like the salad since he didn't finish it. Also, he didn't eat the fois gras because he was trying to eat up my dish. When they got the plates, they asked if he didn't like fois gras. We felt so bad because they sincerely wanted us to enjoy the flavor of the food, but we didn't want to make a fuss about me being sick. I think they thought that we didn’t like the food. =( Also, the table next to us ordered this DELICIOUS looking chocolate lava cake with vanilla bean ice-cream; one of my favorite desserts that I was unable to order! Shitty for me! Worst nightmare come true! ='(

A couple more trips to puke, and a depressing meal (for me) later, we walked back to the Eiffel Tower. I felt like I was going to keel over any second, but we still were able to get some cool shots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The line to go up the Eiffel Tower was twice as long at this point! We will go to the top next time. When we got back, I ended my night eating more crackers and water.

No comments: