Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Chez Panisse

After all these years, and hearing about all the hype, I finally made it Chez Panisse with Aaron.

Pizzetta with creme fraiche, roe, chives, and scallions.
Photobucket

I am normally not a big fan of roe but was interested in how this pairing on a pizza would taste like. It was a good choice. The pizza dough here is really tasty and the non-traditional ingredients together were great. I loved getting a bite of potato, cream, and a lil roe. Who knew after all these years, I have (almost) acquired a taste for big roe. (Still waiting for that to happen with raw oysters... *gasp*)

Grilled Laughing Stock Farm pork leg with sauteed greens, olives, and potatoes.
Photobucket

This was cooked to perfection. Seasoned to perfection. So delicious. I thought I wouldn't be able to finish it all, but I did. LOVED it.

Aaron got the fried rabbit.
Photobucket

Not your typical soul food, but fantastic.

Pink Lady apple and quince tarte with fresh whipped cream.
Photobucket

To me, a tarte is a tarte. I have only been blown away by one tarte de fruits that I've had in Bordeaux. Not to say this wasn't good, it certainly was a tasty apple and quince tarte. I loved the whipped cream.

Overall, I think that Chez Panisse has definitely lived up to it's name. Fantastic fresh and local ingredients. Uncomplicated food. Seasoning and cooking is to perfection. Service at the cafe is casual and friendly.

When I walked back to my car, I was welcomed with a parking ticket. But after a nearly 2,5 hour filled with foodie conversation paired with delicious meal, I wasn't feeling as bad as I normally would. (Well, until I realized I could have used those $30 for another lunch at Panisse... And I guess it's been a good 12 years since I really hung out in Berkeley. Is it me or did they really clean up the place???) Anyway ! Can't wait to go back for dinner.

Chez Panisse
1517 Shattuck Ave
Berkeley, CA‎
(510) 548-5525‎

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joan, glad you blogged about this. I was hoping to see those photos sometime!
Thanks for coming up to Berzerkeley. It was a lot of fun!

Star said...

I want the tarte with the whipped cream! Thanks for your blog! I am putting them down on my list next time I got visit Nor Cal!

Acadaemia Nut said...

I always forget that you don't like raw oysters, and then when you write about it again, I am re-amazed that you don't like them! They are sooo yummy. Were the ones that you've tried on the small or large side? The smaller, the better, I say.

Joan P. said...

Yes I've had great quality oysters - straight from the oyster farms off the coast of the Arcachon in the Bordeaux region of France. I don't remember the levels - isn't there like 3? But yah, sad isn't it? Hey at least I keep trying them. hahaha.