Thursday, February 04, 2010

Thoumieux Restaurant - Paris, France

When I was working at Les Ambassadeurs, I never had the opportunity to eat there (it was a bit out of my budget at the moment as well). Jean-François Piège left Hôtel de Crillon in August 2009 to take over the kitchen at Restaurant Thoumieux - a very old restaurant in the 7eme. I still keep in touch with some of the cooks from Crillon - a couple whom are now sous-chefs at Thoumieux. Some of the servers followed as well.

Now this place is perhaps the complete opposite of Les Ambassadeurs. The interior is rather drab, and somewhat unattractive with random teal items placed around the front of the house. I went to dine with Sophie, whom informed me that the place was actually remodeled! Interesting... She also mentioned that the clientele consisted of some television actors/personalities.

All photo credit to Sophie
Photobucket

Photobucket

Strange interior aside, I was pleasantly surprised by the food. There was no extra fluff or beyond perfect garnishes on the plate. I would call the food very refined *almost* comfort food.

We started with an excellent sardine pate, house-churned butter, and house-made bread. These were all very very good.

Photobucket

For the first course, by recommendation, I opted for the langoustines with fennel and apples. This dish, served cold, was perfection in every bite.
Photobucket

Sophie opted for "Grandma's paté" made with chicken liver which was probably one of the best paté's I have tasted thus far.

Photobucket

Next up was the slow cooked Oteiza pork belly with onion crackling, cabbage sautéed with curry, and pomme purée. Though the pork belly could have been cooked a wee bit longer, it was very tasty. I LOVED the onion crackling and the cabbage. The flavor combinations as well as the textures went hand in hand. A fabulous dish.
Photobucket

Sophie's perfectly cooked quasi de veau + écrasée de vitelottes
Photobucket

Sophie and I both ordered the home-made vanilla bean ice-cream with caramelised noisettes. A bit pricey (@ 8 euro) but very well done.
Photobucket

Bravo, Thoumieux. A very satisfying meal. By the way, it doesn't hurt to mention that they hired all good looking servers and model-like hostesses. Eye-candy during your meal.

Restaurant Thoumieux‎
79, Rue Saint-Dominique
75007 Paris
Tel: 01 47 05 49 75‎

No comments: