Saturday, December 12, 2009

Ramen California - Torrance, CA

Flew down to Los Angeles this weekend to hang out with Miki, Joel, and Andrew. Miki kindly worked on a "meal plan" as I'd like to call it. Since I was really only there for a day and a half, we had quite a lot to eat.

First stop after the airport, Ramen California. 32 year-old Shigetoshi “Sean” Nakamura is the creator of this joint - he is considered one of the top four ramen gods in Japan. Pretty cool!

Rosemary bread that reminded me of fried Shanghainese bread. Different, but good.
Photobucket

Halibut carpaccio - the usual.
Photobucket

Charcoal cha-su pork
Photobucket

The great thing about this place is that they sell small bowls for $5,50 which gives you the option of trying different flavors. We all shared the following which was their version of shoyu ramen. It was a mix of fish broth, chicken broth, and shoyu. It had a nice dense flavor, closer to traditional ramen. The pork was nicely cooked, and the egg was perfectly cooked. I wish all ramen joints in the US would cook their eggs like this.
Photobucket

I opted for one of their signature ramen's - Ramen California. Nice, clean chicken broth, freshly made noodles, and 30 different types of seasonal vegetables. The vegetables were cooked just the way I like - al dente. This was definitely far from traditional, but I enjoyed it very much. Nice and light.
Photobucket

Andrew ordered another signature ramen - Reggiano Cheese Tofu Ramen which is seen in the spoon. This was also served with chicken broth. The combination of the broth with the tofu cheese was fantastic.
Photobucket

I'm such a hardcore traditional ramen fan, but I really enjoyed this place. It's great to have the option of a light soupy ramen versus a heavy, ramen. Will definitely return. Good choice, Miki !

Andrew and I are reunited once again
Photobucket

Ramen California‎
24231 Crenshaw Boulevard
Torrance, CA‎
(310) 530-2749‎

No comments: