Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Kaiseki @ Okudosaryou Rikyuan - Hakone, Japan

We were graciously served by the only Japanese guy that could speak English here. He was so nice and accommodating.

I think I'm turning Japanese ! (Which, btw, everyone thinks I am, no matter what country I am in [except China].)
Photobucket

Here is the kaiseki menu. Unfortunately, I can't understand any of this.
Photobucket

Squid on the left, tofu mousse on the right.
Photobucket

A bunch of goodies consisting of yuba/tofu, peas, veggies, shrimp, and some gooey stuff that was quite good.
Photobucket

Slow-cooked claypot
Photobucket

Veggie nigiri, and raw egg that we put in the claypot
Photobucket

Photobucket

Yum yum
Photobucket

Sashimi, tofu, gelee
Photobucket

And some free goodies - fresh prawn and turban
Photobucket

Grilled alive! So fresh that the shrimp was still moving.


I have to get one of these mini-charcoal grills at home...
Photobucket

This was some kind of rice in a seaweed type sauce/broth (we used this when I had that stint at the kaiseki place in Cali).
Photobucket

Photobucket

Condiments
Photobucket
Photobucket

Dessert - delicious tofu mousse with rasberry sauce
Photobucket

I hesitated to mention that we were still stuffed from that freakishly insane bowl of pork ramen we had. It was tough to eat this entire meal but we succeeded in stuffing ourselves in order to 1) finally have a complete and authentic kaiseki meal 2) not to be rude and not finish everything. This meal really was fabulous. It was advertised as a "healthy" kaiseki which means little to no meat. Anyway, it was pretty splendid.

I could get used to this.

No comments: