Saturday, October 04, 2008

Braving the Barbès open market

If you don't already know, I have been crashing at Amanda's pad in Barbès - the "immigrant" neighborhood of Paris notoriously known for their shabby shops, stores selling everything that is defined as crap and/or knick knacks, hooker shoe shops, mysterious Algerian bakeries selling gross pastries and "sandwich grecques", and a million gaudy wedding dress stores. But there are bonuses to living in this area - super cheap grocery stores. Buying groceries here ran me about 14 Euros the other day, whereas I used to spend a good 25 Euro for the same stuff when I lived in the 7ème.

And Barbès does have their fair share of random guys selling fresh charcoal - grilled [in a shopping cart] corn on the cob which according to Amanda, is delicious. That will definitely be something I will try before I leave this neighborhood. And hopefully another blog post.

At first, I was a bit unexcited about this area but I have grown to appreciate it. And today was special since we decided to brave the open market. Normally, I go to the open market at the Bastille or Ledru Rollin. Tons of people but tolerable. This was an entirely different story. All I gotta say is to try and keep your ground and watch out for the big Arab women - they really know how to push and shove!
Photobucket
Look at the lady in white - it looks like she's about to open a can of whoop-ass.

This was like a combination of Costco and Fry's Electronics - on a Saturday afternoon x 100000 !

But we did see some interesting things like...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And the olive stand that Amanda was looking for. (Olives turned out to be fantastic, by the way)
Photobucket

We probably only spent a good 20 minutes here. But it was really stressful so after we got her olives, we were outta there. And she even suggested going to another market down the road. I needed some space and recovery time so we will save that for next time.

No comments: