Saturday, October 11, 2008

La Gazetta and Nina day

Grabbed lunch with Nina today at La Gazzetta (referral from the book Hungry for Paris). Some dishes were good like the sardine rillettes (ummm garlic, eggplant, red peppers) and the chou-fleur soup (cauliflower - simple but delicious). And also "foie de volaille" (poultry/chicken liver) on a thin piece of pita-type bread. It tasted like vomit/stomach acid. Major turn-off. *Shudders.* I had a beef dish with spinach and squash that was pretty good. Nina had a braised beef dish which she did not like. Overall it was decent for the price but I probably won't go back.

Massa-san, my colleague from my last resto was supposed to work here in December. Unfortunately, the contract fell through. He happened to be in Paris that day and actually stopped by the resto to see if the chef was in. He ended up walking around Paris with us.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We walked from the Bastille all the way to the Pompidou and Les Halles.

We went to Chez George which is (on the top floor of the Pompidou) to have ridiculously expensive smoothies that aren't as good as back in the States. The French have just begun catching on to the smoothie craze.

Photobucket

Photobucket

See Sacre Coeur ? I'd love to live in Montmartre someday.
Photobucket

Photobucket

This is a place where all the trendy folks and hipsters go to hang out. It has a beautiful ambiance - can't say much about the food.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Earlier, I had stopped by Pain de Sucre to grab a little gateau for Nina's late birthday treat. I had tried to work something out earlier in the week but we were both too busy to meet up even though we live one stop away from each other now. So Nina ended up carrying her lil treat the entire afternoon. Didn't get a chance to munch on it until we sat down at Chez George.

Photobucket

Tant pis !
Photobucket

The lil gateau was SUPER rich and heavy on the green tea. One bite was enough for me. Pretty good though. As for the pain au chocolat, I've had better.

Pain de Sucre‎
14, Rue Rambuteau
75003 Paris, France
Tel: 01 45 74 68 92‎


I had a lot of errands to run, and thankfully, Nina was very patient and came with me. I had to go to H&M since it was the only place that carried baby clothes. H&M at Les Halles is like COSTCO in Sunnyvale. On a Saturday afternoon. *Shudders again* But I got that over with. We ended up walking around rue Montorgeuil, then through rue de St. Denis where the prostitutes were getting ready for work. Then all the way back to the 18th. Didn't take one metro - it was nice! I need to do this more often. Didn't get back home until around 20h30 ! Was a pretty productive day.

No comments: